1) Peel and chip 400/500g potatoes, and then wash them thoroughly.
2) Boil a pan of large salted water. Add the chips and return to the boil, and then reduce to a gentle simmering for ten minutes.
3) Remove the chips from the water, and leave to cool on a cake rack. When cool, chill in the 'fridge.
4) In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 1.5 litres of groundnut oil to 130C. Using a wire mesh basket, fry the chips for nine minutes.
5) Remove the basket, and shake off the oil. Cool the chips on a cake rack, and then chill in the 'fridge for the second time.
6) Heat the oil to 190c. Fry the chips in a mesh basket for 2-3 minutes, until they are golden. Drain the chips, then spread them on a double layer of kitchen paper. Serve immediately.